The world sums us up. Some of these relate to me, some relate to others.
Two events that inspired this post:
Today, because I wore trendy clothes-these people thought they could relate to me so they decided to speak to me. We have never spoken before. Nor did they understand my language even though we both spoke English. They expected me to be just like them. To curse, to smoke, to drink, to like these certain rappers. Even if all of us being the same is impossible. Even if I faked it. Their expectations were strong enough to assume who I was.
Today, because I drew a few pictures in class,
I am now that artsy girl in class
I am that person no one can take seriously
I am no brains
I have nothing to contribute other than sketching, so my team members decide to ignore me. If they saw past that and listened, they would have seen that I had a successful solution before our instructor called it.
Here is a list of other summaries:
- Because I am honest, I am a jerk
- Because I have a heart- I am a wimp, loser
- Because I listen more, I don’t exist
- Because I am nervous, I lack confidence
- Because I stutter, I can’t talk
- Because I am afraid, I am incapable of overcoming my fears
- Because I didn’t perform, I can’t perform or will never perform
- Because I sing, I only sing
- Because I dance, I only dance
- Because I am passionate, I am sensitive or depressed
- Because I am angry, I have no right to be
- Because I am sad, I lack strength
- Because I prefer solitude, I a creep, boring, or anti-social
- Because I am expressive, I am a weirdo
- Because I don’t look like a celebrity or model, I am ugly
- Because I am emotional, I am irrational
- Because I talk about my issues, I am selfish
- Because I am short and slender, I can’t play sports
- Because I crack jokes, you can’t take me seriously
- Because I don’t pay attention in class, I will fail this class and in life
- Because I have faith in people, I am naïve
- Because I get good grades, I know all of the answers
- Because I see a therapist, I am crazy.
- Because I am having issues with my spouse, We will get a divorce.
- Because I am single, no one loves me.
- Because I have locks- I am dirty, Jamaican, or smoke weed
- Because I am disabled, my life is over or I can’t succeed at anything
- Because I am a man and cry, I am not a real one
- Because I smile randomly, I am always happy
- Because I am open, I am clueless
- Because I am bald, I am a lesbian
- Because I speak my mind, I am a man
And so much more.
The world can take the simplest things and define it without seeking what it actually means.
It is our job not to feed into it because there is so much more to you and me.
There is more to something, that just meets the eye.